Saturday, June 25, 2011

Serving with Zeal

Seminarian Gerardo previously served the congregation in Ciudad Juarez as a student pastor.  In the fall of 2010, he and his family relocated to study full-time in the seminary.  Currently, he is continuing his training in Torreón where he is working with a mission congregation and studying under Pastor Esequiel.





Why did you decide to study/prepare for the ministry?

"That is a question I often ask myself.  I think... in the beginning when, I met Rosa [my wife], and she's the one who introduced me to the church in Ciudad Juarez.  At that time, Pastor Guién was pastor -- who is now in glory.  He constantly invited me to become a member.  It took a while because at first I didn't want to, but finally with his encouragement I became a member of the congregation.  I slowly got more and more involved.  After Pastor Guién, there was Pastor Marío.  And I kept getting more and more involved because there was a need in the church.  It was Pastor Guién who especially convinced me to enter into the ministry.



At that time, we went to a conference in Puebla.  And there, I felt that it was possible, and Pastor Guién kept on encouraging me by saying, 'You are the one...' and inviting me to serve the Lord.  Finally I answered, 'Yes.'

I attended various conventions, and Pastor Esequiel said yes, I would enter the seminary.  But there was a lot of back and forth, and time went by.  I went to more conventions as a delegate, but they didn't accept me in the seminary right away...

Well...  what more can I say?  I moved here [to the seminary] and that is how I am here -- by the grace of God."

What are you currently studying?
"I am studying -- thanks to God -- and thanks to my professors, Pastor Larry, Pastor Natán and Pastor Mike  [They] are instructing me in the Word and in doctrine in order to save souls and preach the gospel.  Learning in order to teach."

Which courses?
"Liturgy, Catechism, Teaching the Faith, Sunday School, Genesis, Shepherd under Christ, and  Preparing Devotions."


How do you plan to serve in the ministry in the future?
"I want to serve wherever you place me, wherever you think there is a need, and wherever you consider me apt to teach.  I will do all I can with what I have learned and what I continue to learn throughout my ministry."


Continue to keep Seminarian Gerardo, his family, and his ministry in your prayers as he continues his training to serve.

No comments: