Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Long Time Friends

One of the privileges of traveling with my husband as he teaches is that I get back to see dear friends, many of whom I have friendships for more than 30 years. One of the dear friends from Colombia who I will only see when I get to heaven is Bertha, who was my helper-maid when I lived in Medellin from 1977 to 1983.  Through Bertha, we were able to reach her family and her best friend's (Blanca) family with the gospel.   

 Marlene and Blanca

Not only are these faithful families, but leaders in the congregation in Medellin.  Bertha's daughter Lilliana is currently president of the ladies group while Blanca's son, Carlos, is president of the the national church.   

 Bertha's granddaughter, daughter Lilliana, and daughter-in-law 
visiting with Marlene

Blanca's son Carlos, Pastor Tonny, and Pastor Henry

These families have suffered, like many of the congregation, from terrible personal loss of loved ones during the violence that has plagued this city and country in the not too distant past.  In each of these cases their consolation has been that these departed loved ones died  in the faith and they will be reunited in heaven.  We are able to comfort each other in this knowledge.

No comments: