Friday, November 2, 2012

What Time Is It There?



I'm kind of embarrassed, but I missed a class on Monday morning. Normally I study Greek with Raul Monday through Friday at 7:45am. This past Monday, everything was going fine. I was up, had my bowl of cereal and cup of coffee, read my morning devotion, had time to look over my notes. I logged into Skype at 7:40, ready to teach.

And then I saw the message from Raul. It was time stamped an hour ago. He was wondering where I was for class. That's when it dawned on me, over the weekend we had ended Daylight Savings Time here in Mexico--but evidently not in Colombia.

As you know from other posts, LATTE is preparing men for the ministry in various countries of Latin America. And that means various time zones, both north and south of the equator. Normally that is not a problem, but it does make us do some interesting adjustments twice a year.

Mexico went off of Daylight Savings Time last weekend, setting our clocks back an hour. The US will end Daylight Savings Time this coming weekend, so we have been an hour apart this past week. Brazil changed their clocks two weeks ago, but since they are in the southern hemisphere, they entered D.S.T. and moved their clocks ahead. Bolivia and Colombia don't use D.S.T. and so they don't change their clocks at all.

I apologized to Raul, and we had a good laugh. Now I set my alarm clock an hour earlier and am ready to teach at 6:45 my time, 7:45 his time.

No comments: